|A spectacular full size mahogany billiard
table by Burroughes & Watts circa 1890, standing on eight
massive lobed and turned legs, the panelled side frames are
embellished with gadrooned mouldings, fan shape carvings and
corbel brackets, the decorative cushion friezes compliment the
frame and the table is fitted with patent “Eureka steel Vacuum
A fantastic table with immense presence and unrivalled playability.
William Burroughes founded this firm, which would become one of the most famous English billiard table manufacturers, in partnership with F. Watts in 1836, From the start they were at the forefront of billiard table development and received a gold medal at the Great exhibition of 1851, with a similar award being received at the subsequent London exhibition of 1862. In 1854 James Samuel Burroughes joined the firm and it was under his stewardship that the company experienced its greatest development.
By1860 they were making a modest 150 full-sized tables a year,
but by the end of this decade production had doubled, the
business now looked for expansion away from London and in the
early 1870s they opened branches in Dublin and Belfast. Walter
Buttery became a partner and is credited with the invention of
the "steel-block" cushion and the "Eureka Vacuum Cushion"
(fitted to the table illustrated)
In 1873 the company secured a major contract for billiard tables to "her Majesty's War department and Admiralty" and around the same time received the warrant of Queen Victoria and Edward, Prince of Wales. In 1875 they opened their London match-room in Dean Street. This subsequently moved to Soho square in 1902, and would be the venue for many famous encounters, which are now part of billiards history.
The pursuit of excellence in the design and
creation of fine billiard tables and accessories offering longevity through quality of construction
discerning private individuals or businesses
is our primary objective.
All of our Billiard/Snooker tables are restored and manufactured in
South of England using traditional methods
and high quality materials.
Each piece is given personal attention
by a skilled time served cabinet maker.
The Old School
(By appointment only)
Tel 00 44 (0) 7779 333321
Fax 00 44 (0) 1761 232839